Sunday, 25 October 2015

A Look Back at Furness Vale

Some photographs recently added to our archives.

Two photographs showing the remains of Lady Pit which stood at the corner of Ladypit Road and Dolly Lane. The mine, owned by the Beard and Bugsworth Mining Company closed in 1903. All that is visible today is a large ventilation shaft and earthworks which carried a railway siding to the colliery.

Jackson's butchers shop at the corner of Station Road. Note the sign advertising the Station Hotel on the gable end.

Opposite the village school. The archway housed a joiner's shop where coffins lined the walls! Next door had been a confectioner's and bakers. Alongside was for a long time, the doctor's surgery and almost out of view is a shop which many will remember, Mrs Nash's off licence.

The Cornstore.  A familiar building which is now the Fish and Chip shop. Pictured here when it was owned by Scowcroft's grocers next door. At other times it has served as a cycle shop and Beswick's office. Below ran the tramway which linked Furness Clough Colliery with the canal.

The busy A6.  The Soldier Dick is still a Gartsides Brewery house so the photo is probably pre-1967 when that company became part of Bass.  Scowcrofts grocers is seen on the right and next door Bennett's ironmongers. Just beyond is the blind in front of the wool shop.

Riddick's builders yard, Charlesworth Road.

Only the bench is still at this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment