Friday, 19 October 2012

The Lyme Park Bus



Lyme Park was once leased from the National Trust by Stockport Corporation. Gaining popularity after the War, the Corporation provided three "buses" to carry vistors from the gates to Lyme Hall.  The vehicles were Lister Auto Trucks with locally built passenger bodies able to carry between 12 and 14 people. In 1948 the fare was 4d for adults and 2d for children. The speed was just 6 mph and as many as 30 journeys would be
made on a busy day. The Auto Trucks were driven by permanent staff. Tickets were sold before boarding although at quiet times these would be bought from the driver.

Auto Trucks were manufactured by R.A.Lister of Dursley in Gloucestershire between 1926 and 1972. The standard design originally sold for less than £100 and by 1938 more than 10,000 had been sold. These vehicles were easily adapted to customers needs and many different variants exist today.

The vehicles were similar to that pictured below.



The previous year had seen Disley Rural District Council objecting to the plans of Stockport Council and advising the National Trust of their concerns. Stockport planned to establish a cultural centre for the workers of neighbouring towns. The proposals included a childrens playground, a pitch and putt course and a car park.  An electric car service would link the hall with the main gates (trams ?).  Disley R D C objected to Lyme being turned into "a weekend circus"

No comments:

Post a Comment