Sunday, 2 May 2010

Lady Pit, The Beard and Bugsworth Colliery

In 1949 a 100 foot high brick chimney still stood at Lady Pit.   Lightning struck on the 5th December bringing down the 80 year old structure.  Bricks were scattered up to 300 yards away.  

More solid is this stone air shaft still standing alongside Dolly Lane.  The only other evidence that this was a busy coal mine is the old railway embankment stretching across the field on the other side of the road. 

Lady Pit in 1896 employed 36 miners and closed in 1903. 

No comments:

Post a Comment