Friday, 4 April 2025

SLACKHALL - A GRADE II LISTED HAMLET


Slackhall is a hamlet on the Sheffield Road, 2km North East of Chapel-en-le-Frith. This is at a crossroads on the unclassified road between Chapel and Castleton via Mam Tor.
Originally a pack horse trail, the road was improved in 1819 by the Sheffield & Chapel-en-le-Frith Turnpike Company. This road was a branch of the Sheffield and Buxton Turnpike Trust which was wound up in 1884. The road, in the 20th century became designated the A625. A landslide at Mam Tor led to that section of the road being abandoned in 1979 and the declassification of the route.


                            Slackhall.  Photograph courtesy of Manchester Libraries

 For such a small community, Slackhall has a surprising number of listed buildings.

At the centre of the hamlet is Slackhall Farmhouse. This is a large building dated 1727 constructed from gritstone with a stone roof. It is of two stories with a double gabled front and a recessed doorway between. This house has been listed Grade II since 1951.  This is the original Slack Hall, home of the Lingard family who were Quakers. As non-conformists they were reported in 1682 for not attending church for 21 days. The Quakers held services at Slack Hall and in 1684, all who attended, were fined. The fines were not paid so bailiffs seized goods instead.  Quakers were not permitted to be buried in consecrated ground so a graveyard was established nearby.
In the mid-nineteenth century the old hall became a farmhouse and for a time was licensed as "The Ram". The tenant however, was more interested in farming and would send customers oin their way after one drink.
A large number of farm buildings are adjacent and are from various periods. The oldest is of stone construction with a stone slate roof.

               Slackhall Farmhouse c 1950. Photograph courtesy of Manchester Libraries
 

 The new house, Slacke Hall lies to the south, at the end of a private road.  This was built in 1835. It is described as being of two stories with a three bay front and a central portico. It is built of Ashlar gritstone with a hipped slate roof. 

This was the home of Thomas Slacke, a descendant of the Lingard family. 

                                                                            Slacke Hall

On the opposite side of the crossroads is Chestnut Farmhouse, also Grade II listed. This is a modest house from the Mid 19th century built of gritstone with a stone slate roof.  This was at the entrance to the Chestnut Centre which closed in 2017.  This wildlife park was home to otters, owls, deer etc.


Immediately to the north of the house is a Friends Burial Ground.  Here is a Grade II listed tombstone dated 1671.  This is a gritstone slab inscribed " I R SONNE T R BURIED 17.8 MONTH 1671"
A second tombstone is also listed. The inscription reads " T R Buried 2nd 10th MONTH ANO 1685 and gr DEPARTED THIS LIFE 1712 OF OCTOBER 1735 Agc"


 
Next to Chestnut Farmhouse is the Toll Bar Cottage. This was built in about 1830 and for such a modest building is quite decorative.  The listing describes the end window as "3-light chamfered mullion window, pointed heads to lights, flat hoodmould over with return stops".

                  The Toll Cottage c 1950.  Photograph courtesy of Manchester Libraries

Early photographs and maps show that a  row of two or three houses once stood opposite. We don't know when these were demolished.

Nearby is the 17th century Keeper's Cottage.  Although not a listed building, it is a typical 3 bedroomed house of gritstone walls an a stone slate roof. Small agricultural extensions adjoin the building.  This house now serves as a holiday let.  

The lane heading north is called Malcoff Road and soon a watercourse, Hockham Brook is reached. Further downstream this will become the Black Brook.  Even the bridge here is listed.  Ford Hall Bridge dates from the 18th century. There had previously been a ford which gave the nearby house its name.



Ford Hall existed as early as 1222, a half timbered medieval homestead; probably a long low structure. It's known to have been at least partially rebuilt in the early 16th century. The Hall was rebuilt in stone c1580 and extended in 1678. In 1728, the south west wing was rebuilt in an Italian style and in the 19th century a gothic wing and main entrance were added.  

 

 


 The Bagshawe family can be traced back to 1317 and came to own considerable lands in the Peak District. It was William Bagshawe (1598-1669) who bought Ford Hall  during the 1650s. His eldest son, also William (1628-1702) entered the Church, but in 1662 after the restoration of the Monarchy, he was expelled from the vicarage of Glossop for nonconformity and for refusing to accept the Book of Common Prayer. His father allowed him to use Ford Hall for many years as a base for his ministry which earned him the name "The Apostle Of The Peak".  Ford Hall remained in the Bagshawe family until 1957 when it was sold and divided into a number of separate homes.

Opposite Ford Hall are two other listed buildings.
The Garden House is an early 19th century house with some 20th century modifications. The building is Grade II listed for its value as part of a group.
The Coach House is a 19th century gritstone building, part one storey, part two storey with a stone tiled roof.  It has some 20th century modifications.

                                                           The Garden House


                                                               The Coach House


 Three other houses are nearby but are not listed.
Opposite The Coach House is The Bridge House, another 19th century gritstone building with a stone roof.  Cobstones and Ford House are more modern buildings.